MS Fax Console backup/restore issue

For some time I've used the MS Fax Console. When I make backups of my
documents and so on I save the fax images from C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax. That works just fine.

I've had several occasions to re-build the system - reformat & re-install. To
re-install these saved faxes I open the Fax Console and use the File | Import
command. I browse to the appropriate folder full of prior faxes but it dows not work and it fails 
to import all of them at once.
It seems random. The only way I've found to do the job
reliably is to place a single fax in a folder, import it, then repeat the
exercise for each of a couple of hundred messages lol!

 I tried smaller lots but
the biggest batch that imports reliably every time is a batch of one.

No, you can't just copy the images back where they need to go as the Import
command is needed to index them into the Fax Console's database. Otherwise,
they won't show.

If this is a bug it's existed as long as the Fax Console's been around. I'm
running WinXP Pro with SP2 and all hot fixes as well as Office 2003 SP2 and
hotfixes. Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks in advance,
Naresh